Hard Candy Little Red Riding Hood isn't so little anymore

When I’m looking for movies to watch I don’t usually see what is showing in the cinemas or what is coming soon on the latest movies list. For me it’s a treasure hunt. I am not really into block buster movies, or movies with famous actors/actress, or movies with very cool graphics. I chose movies with distinct character. Movies that can’t be easily be categorized.

Every time I see a very interesting movie I don’t just watch the movie. I read about the movie and know how the movie was made. It’s like getting to know a new friend but this is not like the popular kind of friend its more of the shy eccentric kind of friend.

When I do stumble upon a nice little gem of a movie I really plunged into its painted reality.

Well I found one nice innocent ruby.

Right now I have a thing for Red hoodies. I had just finished watching Hard Candy. I knew about this movie a long time ago but haven’t really got my way to watch it. I think I saw the trailer from Apple movie trailers. This is a 2005 movie. I was reminded about this movie when it was mentioned in one of the blogs I read. So I couldn’t actually remember what the movie was abut I just remembered a girl in a red hoodie.

So when I googled Hard Candy I was surprised that the main character is played by Ellen Page (from the movie Juno which I love). I read the summary. ..

After three weeks chatting with the thirty-two years old photographer Jeff Kohlver in Internet, the fourteen years old Hayley Stark meets him in the Nighthawks coffee shop. Hayley flirts with him in spite of the difference of ages and proposes to go to his house. Once there, she prepares screwdriver for them and Jeff passes out. When he awakes, he is tied up to a chair, and Hayley accuses him of pedophilia. Jeff denies, and Hayley begin to torture him, in a mouse and cat game.

I was definitely hooked.



After watching the movie red hoodies somehow give the creeps. I love Ellen page portrays Hayley. Her character here is very different from Juno. She plays a demented vengeance-hungry 14 year old. Ellen is younger here so her voice has still a very childlike quality here. I don’t know if it’s her age or the way she delivered the character. Ellen voice always haunts me even after I see one of her movies. Hayley is less physically attractive than Juno but more devious.

Jeff the 32 year old photographer is played by Patrick Wilson (which is in Little Children another movie I love (No wonder his face is familiar)). Jeff is actually plays a hot but perverted photographer (I say perverted because he lures a 14 year old to meet! How pervy is that…and he has photos of half naked teen girls in his apartment!). I do love his apartment (pictures of teen girls aside). At first look he could be my crush. A photographer with his looks...then meeting a young girl…well it could also be hot (if you have a Lolita-complex) but somehow the meeting spelled pedophilia in big letters. I don’t mean the romantic young girl and old guy but the type young girl ends in a milk carton after meeting the guy.

The meeting is just the beginning. I love power play in the movie and how emotions are heightened by the color scheme of the movie. At first I was really rooting for Hayley but somewhere I felt sorry for Jeff. He looked so pitiful when he was crying please. (Maybe this just shows I could be a victim since I thought that he was innocent…I’m so naïve at times). In the end serves his just right and Hayley is my new super heroine in her red hoodie (I say super heroine since in the real world 14 year old don’t have a mind like that).

Posted bymiles0282 at 19:36  

0 comments:

Post a Comment