The word is out

I know I have been silent for awhile now. I really didn’t write anything about it since I don’t want to raise any unwanted attention when I am not yet sure of what may happen next. It was just last Saturday when I knew I am going to write another new chapter in my life.

A year has passed and a lot happened. I finally had a job in Davao and a design related one. I really didn’t apply for this position but someone called my home and said I would come to their office for an interview. I was a bum at that time and I had lots of time in my hands so I went and tried my luck there.

It turned out the company is an IT Outsourcing Company. I was assigned in the Creative department. I was assigned to do print projects but later I learned to do web design and even html coding. I met new people, made friends and even become close to a number of my officemates. After a month everything seems fine but then reality sets in. One by one people are going. At first I was really sad but eventually I realized that this is the reality of work. I am happy though that they are still my friends even though I seldom see them anymore.

I learned a lot with the projects and working with people. I got used to hearing IT people conversing about computers all day. I learned to hang out with the guys since most of my officemates are guys. My work is fine and somehow first time in my life I was contented and comfortable with everything. I was doing my own thing and have friends of my own.

Being in your comfort zone is not a good thing for an artist. You forget to strive more. Everything is just okay. Deep in myself I knew I wanted more but somehow I had lost the will to find the right path of my career. I became good at following instructions and my creativity malnourished. Since I had time in my hands I planned personal art project to fill my time and nurture my sleeping creativity.

It’s almost a year and as a graphic artist I feel what I had is not adequate to fill my creative desire. What I made is not portfolio worthy for me. I said to myself I must awaken myself from this stupor state. I must challenge myself. At twenty five I feel like I was stuck at a dead-end job. Like I was just going to the office to be paid to surf the net.

I always ranted out my feelings in my blog. I wrote and a graphic artist dilemma. A couple of my fellow artist and friends gave words of advice. One artist even commented:

hindi kakapal yung portfolio mo kung aasa ka sa employer mo... it's up to you to initiate, create your own projects... less thinking.... more working. Think of every artist for whatever medium you admire, chances are, what ever put them on the map is something they initiated... someone once told me "you get hired for the work you do" so kung saan sa tingin mo ikaw magaling eh di gumawa ka ng samples... you don't need actual clients or projects... in media, it's hardly what you can do, but what you have done, so initiate initiate initiate.

After that reading the feedback of people from that post it made me think. I should not wait for an oppurtunity instead I should create my own. There was also a hs batchmate of mine who PM me about a job at her company. I was thrilled at the idea since its an advertising company and also one of the well known ad agencies here in the Philippines.
What do I have got to lose if I applied. I sent my resume and crossed my fingers. I was given a creative test. When I read the test I wanted to back out. I didn't feel that I could do the test. I guess I was overwhelmed at that time. I was given three days and so I had to maximize my time. Eventhough I thought I could not make it I gues said to myself there is no harm in trying. If I pass it would definitely an achievement and if I don't then it wouldn't really bother me since the test is quite difficult in the first place.

I made my ads and answered the essay questions. I sent my creative test and waited. I didn't know what to expect. I was already happy because I did not back down at the challenge (its a challenge for me since it's been awhile since I worked with advertising).

After a few days I got a reply and they liked what I did. I was very happy and never got over the idea that THEY LIKED what I did...and I thought my creative was already dull. I had an telephone (actually cell phone) interview. I had to dig up my rusty english speaking skill. After talking to two people I finally heard the phrase "your hired". I felt relieved and very happy.

I will go to Cebu to train and work there. I'm very anxious about the place, the food and the culture. I am not really new the place but it's been awhile since I went to Cebu. I am afraid that I might not survived and then I wanted to slap myself for thinking that. I had survived Manila...where I didn't speak the dialect, had few relatives and only trusted the help of my friends. Cebu however is nearer and I got tons of relatives there. My best friend is also there so I will not be lonely.

I am sad to leave Davao since my family is here and Uly. My family is already used to me living far. Uly on the other hand is not used to not seeing me for more than three days. Sigh...

I will definitely maximize my last month.

Posted bymiles0282 at 06:10  

0 comments:

Post a Comment